Withdrawn $699,000 - Single-Family Home
Listed by: Katie Mihalevich
MLS #: 1238274
Charming, well-maintained home on .4-acres, prime location! All 3 bedrooms upstairs. Bonus spaces not included in the overall square footage: 920 SF basement for laundry/storage, 720 SF Heated/Cooled detached studio—perfect for home office, hobbies, workshop, extra garage & more. Fenced yard, mature trees, sunny & shade garden areas. Rare to find a 2-car garage in this vibrant, walkable area near UofA, Wilson Park, trails. New roof 2020, exterior repainted 2019, lead-based paint removed, re-wired, insulated ’90s. Priced well BELOW appraisal, allowing updates.
The house when it sat on the corner of Trenton and College Ave, facing east, prior to being moved to its current location in the 1950’s. It was built in 1922 by one of the Lewis brothers.
How the house looked in 1985 when the current owners purchased it.
The current owners started renovation in 1985 with the kitchen and dining room. In this photo, a truck was taking away plaster and lathe from the exterior walls for insulation installation.
The deck was added in the mid-90s, while working on repainting the exterior.
The garage was added and the porch renovated in the early 2000s.
List of Improvements
1985 to 1990 – First major renovation
- New wiring, whole house
- Installed storm windows to all exterior windows
- New kitchen cabinets, appliances, plumbing
- All exterior walls insulated, new drywall
- Upstairs bath renovation and 2nd bath added
- Living room ceiling under bathroom strengthened, old cast iron waste pipe removed
- Added central air to both floors
- Planted pine and maple trees, northwest corner of property
- Added shop with central heat & air
- Built deck and repainted house exterior
- Added awnings on west windows.
- Razed carport, added new driveway & 2-car garage
- Finished back porch to be heated & cooled, insulated, new windows & doors
- Added little deck with covered link from garage to back porch
- Installed new rock walkway on north side
- Added bathtub/shower upstairs to make 2 full baths.
Recent improvements – last 5 years
- Awning over deck, 2020
- Exterior painting, 2019
- New roof, house & shop, 2020
- New fence around backyard
- New stove, 2020
- New surface on original bathtub, 2022
- All interior woodwork, windows and trim, was fully stripped before being repainted with oil-base enamel (no lead). Where possible all original glass was retained in original windows. Double-hung windows were restored, replacing window sash cord so both windows move up and down. Picture and chair rails were installed.
- All lead-based exterior paint was removed before new paint was applied.
10 Things the Owners Love About This House
- The views out of all windows.
- The birds nesting inside the awnings, watching babies hatch, parents feeding.
- Always a place to plant something new in this yard.
- Neighborhood is the best! Such a variety of nice dog and cat lovers, a great place to walk.
- Basement is so handy for storage and for hanging laundry.
- The way the light, shining through the old glass of the original windows, creates wavy shadows on the walls.
- The little window over the bathtub.
- Ron loves his shop.
- The kitchen layout.
- Sitting on the deck looking at the backyard in the summer – the pin oak with the shade garden, and the crape myrtles on the stone wall.